Anna Podi is an Andhra Chetty recipe. It is a powder that you mix with steamed rice and eat. My mother picked this recipe up from her Komiti Chetty friends in Chittoor.
- Peanuts: 2 cups
- Roasted Gram Dal (pottu kadalai): 2 cups
- Red chillies: about 15 (but depends on how spicy you want it to be.
- Tamarind: a small ball
- Salt: as desired (but go easy on it. A couple of spoons should work for the aforementioned quantities)
- Asafoetida (hing): a pinch
- Roast the peanuts and chillies (without oil, yes.)
- Mix peanuts with the roasted gram dal (Note: No need to fry the dal. It’s already roasted yo!)
- In a ladle, heat a spoonful of oil. Turn the stove off.
- Add the small ball of Tamarind to the heated oil. (If you went “What the fffffuu….” I understand. But that’s how this one rolls yo)
- Add the fried tamarind with oil to the peanuts, roasted gram dal and chillies.
- Add the Asafoetida.
- Add Salt.
- Let it all cool.
- Grind it to a fine powder.
Tastes best when mixed with rice and a little ghee.
Bonus tip: I love to eat it with Rasam. Did you just ask how to make original Iyengar Rasam? Coming up shortly!