Prateek posted this on the BNG Birds Yahoo Mailing List. If you are a birder, you wouldn’t want to miss this:
The Great Himalayan Bird Count, Winter of 2008 is planned on the most popular trekking trails situated in the valleys of Yamuna; Bhagirithi; Bhilingna; Ganga; Mandakini and Alaknanda rivers in Garhwal.
– The Bird Count Dates are: 14th to 17th of November, 2008
– The bird count will start and finish at Dehradun
– We propose 15 Groups undertaking 34 different treks of +/- 10 kms each between 14th and 17th November 2008 (Each Group size will be a maximum of five birders plus 2-3 urban school students) local village youths and govt. school students will join the trails at the
count destinations itself.
– We are involving young school children because we at ARCH feel that young minds should start thinking of Conservation as an academic and career pursuit instead of just another constructive activity.
– This event will be organized with the support of Uttarakhand Forest Department.
– There will be a Orientation and Debriefing Workshop at Dehradun on the 14th & 17th respectively.
– The 14th & 17th are also the dates for to-&-fro journey to the count destinations.
– Most of the groups will be undertaking two treks during the Count but one or two groups will be undertaking 3-4 treks in the Count.
– It is an encounter-rate baseline data generation and conservation awareness activity.
– Each group will accommodate some local youths and young school children from the area and will provide orientation & motivation to take-up bird watching as an revenue generation skill.
– Each group is encouraged to conduct a small half-hour workshop with the local village elders to generate list of vernacular names of the bird species found in different river valleys. They are also expected to document any references occurring in oral folk.
– This is not a commercial activity, so we expect the participants to share the cost of lodging, Boarding & travel expenses at actuals.
– During the count modest lodging & boarding will be arranged at the Forest Rest Houses of the area.
Friends now you know the dates, so plan your schedules accordingly and kindly let un know of your intention (with your trekking & birding experience of Himalayan bird species) to participate in this wonderful birding opportunity at the earliest possible.
Kindly take an early Registration initiative to avoid any disappointments later.
Each Group size is restricted to 5 birders only, so please hurry…
On hearing from you we’ll furnish the Count Trails and Registration Details at the outset.
Our next count “The Great Himalayan Bird Count, Summer of 2009” in Garhwal Himalayas is happening in May 2009.
Founder Trustee ARCH
Action & Research for Conservation in Himalayas
MDDA Duplex Villa # 3, Sahastradhara Road,
Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001 INDIA
Email: arch.birdcount (at) gmail (dot) com